- Favorite quote from student's paper today: "As you run through the open grasslands, you see hundreds of different species...fighting for resources and sexual domination." I was seriously glad not to be drinking anything when I read this as I would have squirted it out my nose. Ahhh, nothing like a little animal dominatrix to lighten your day.
- I will admit that having hubby jump on the scales today and announce gleefully that he'd down 10 pounds (after dieting for a week and not doing any trips to the gym) totally ticked me off. Men. UGH!
- I had an awesome dream last night about being chased by the cops. Ran through backyards, etc., and ended up working at Starbucks as my cover to get away from them (says the girl who doesn't drink coffee). I woke, adrenaline pumping, wondering where the heck that came from?
- I'm reading a crit-buddy's manuscript at the moment and Loving it. I can't wait for it to come out so I can gleefully tell everyone I got to read it first!
- We're gearing up for some new samples here in the lab. Apparently the Mimbres culture placed elaborately painted bowls (which is what they're known for) over the faces of their dead. These bowls, upon excavation, have some smudges on them the archaeologist is sure is dried on human flesh. Guess what he wants me to get DNA out of? I'm torn between totally grossed out and intrigued--it would be a great way to bypass the problems I have working with the human remains themselves. Still, um, icky! I'm sure you wanted to know all that!
Friday, February 27, 2009
It's Friday. I've finished my lab work for the day, my quota of papers to grade all have scores, and I have a half hour in which I should be doing some academic reading, but, yeah, it's Friday. So here's some randomness for you: